Finding the right home can make a big difference in your life. If you are looking for a condo, you want to be sure that it has all of the features you need, as well as the amenities that you want. Whether you want to find a condominium in Downtown Ville-Marie or Mile-end, you want to find a home that is located close to work and those special restaurants and shops that you enjoy visiting. What else do you need to consider when you are choosing a condo?
Finding a realtor to help you find condos in Montreal can be invaluable. They not only know the market, but can take some of the research and time out of the process for you. Another option is to work with a condo developer that builds condos in different areas of Montreal. Getting in on this level can often allow you to make some color decisions or design decisions, too. Whether you work with a realtor or a developer, having someone in the “know” can make a big difference in your condo search.
See Where You Stand
While you may have an idea of how much you can afford, if you have not visited a lender to get mortgage qualification, you may be surprised. Being pre-approved for a mortgage will give you a much stronger position, and it will allow you to know exactly what you can afford. Be sure you crunch your numbers to be sure you can also afford all of the costs associated with buying a home, including closing costs, moving costs, land transfer taxes, and any lawyer’s fees.
Finding the Right Condo
Now that you have located your realtor or developer and have an idea of where you need to be financially, you are ready to begin your search. Some things to remember when you are searching are:
- Look at a variety of condos in different buildings
- Buy the largest suite you can afford, as studios and one bedrooms do not re-sell as quickly
- Visit the neighborhood at different times of the day if it is one you are sincerely considering
- Check out your view – make sure it is one that is not of the garbage area, garage areas, or other areas that will not help with resale
- If you drive, make sure that your purchase includes a parking place
- Visit the lobby and evaluate the common spaces to be sure that they are fresh and do not have an adverse smell
- Where do visitors park? Is there a limited number of spaces?
- What are the condo maintenance fees?
- Ask prospective neighbors how they like the building
- Visit the suite twice to be sure it is the one you want
Realtor.com advises that you include these decisions in your condo search as well. “When considering a condo purchase, take your time to look at the building. Do you like its size? Is it in the right neighborhood? Is the building properly maintained and are the amenities to your liking?” The key is to take your time and find the condo that will work for you.
Once you have found the condos in Montreal that you want to consider and then found the one that works for you and your needs, you are ready to make your offer and, hopefully, have it accepted. This will be the final step to getting you the home of your dreams that will give you a place to relax and settle into for years to come.